Thank you for your interest in working with The Swannanoa Gathering!
Please note that we are not a festival, but a series of instructional workshops held every summer in July and early August.. The procedure to be considered for our staff is as follows:
- Look through our website or catalog so you get a clear idea of what it is we do, and the kind of staff we hire.
- Present a proposal to the coordinator for your week with your pitch as to what you or your artist could add to our program. The coordinators are indicated here. Submissions can be sent care of the Director, Jim Magill, but you can save time by lobbying coordinators directly.
- Coordinators then submit their staff proposals to the Director, which are then discussed and final selections are made. Jim does the official hiring, but the coordinator’s recommendations carry a lot of weight.
WE BEGIN RECRUITING STAFF IN AUGUST FOR THE FOLLOWING JULY’S WORKSHOPS, WITH ALL STAFF USUALLY SELECTED BY EARLY-DECEMBER. We welcome inquiries about staff positions, but please know that we always have many more applicants than we have openings.
In addition to our summer workshops, we present a concert series each spring in Asheville’s Diana Wortham Theatre, featuring the world’s top Celtic acts. Past artists have included Solas, Altan, Martin Hayes, Dervish, Lunasa, Liz Caroll & John Doyle, Battlefield Band, Cherish the Ladies, The Tannahill Weavers, Boys of the Lough, etc.
SPECIAL NOTE FOR FOREIGN NATIONALS:
– Before we can issue a check, you must have a US tax ID number, which you can get from the US Internal Revenue Service, OR a Social Security number which you can get from any US Social Security office.
– To work here legally, you must already have the necessary US work visa covering the time period under discussion before we agree to hire you. It is not enough to plan on getting one before you come to Swannanoa, because experience has shown that we will then get drawn into the visa application process, paperwork and fees, which we are not prepared to do. We are happy to write letters in support of an artist’s visa application, but artists or their agents are solely responsible for securing the proper visa prior to any contractual agreement with us.
Thanks for your interest in our programs, and let us know if you need any further information.